July 29, 2013 12:00 AM | by Zeina Tawfik
Mozzarella Sticks Recipe
Have you had enough of the Sambosak this Ramadan? Well, we sure have and thought that it's about time we bring you something different and creative to your Iftar table. Mozzarella sticks are a favorite of mine, once you bite them and the melted cheese elongates, yummy! It's also quite easy to prepare so let's get started:
What you will need:
500 gm Mozzarella String Cheese (can be replaced with regular mozzarella cheese cut into equal strips, preferably 4x1/2 inches)
1 Cup Dry Bread Crumbs
1 Cup Grated Parmesan
1 Cup Flour
1/2 Cup Cornstarch
1 Tablespoon Dry Oregano
1/4 Cup Milk
1. In a bowl, place the breadcrumbs, grated Parmesan cheese then rub the dry oregano with your hands and add it along with a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir the mixture well and leave aside.
2. In another bowl, mix the flour with the cornstarch.
3. In a third bowl, whisk the eggs and milk and line up all three bowls beside each other.
4. Roll the mozzarella string cheese one by one in the flour mixture first, then dip it in the eggs bowl and then coat it with the bread crumbs mixture. Repeat the eggs and bread crumbs step.
5. Place the mozzarella sticks on a plate, cover it and refrigerate for at least four hours.
6. Heat oil in a large saucepan and start placing the mozzarella sticks carefully when oil is hot enough and work in batches.
7. Here comes the tricky part, make sure to roll the mozzarella sticks in the oil so all sides are equally fried, and remove it as soon as the bread crumbs turn golden brown so the cheese doesn't melt.
8. Place the fried mozzarella sticks on a plate with a paper towel so it absorbs any excess oil.
9. Serve hot with marinara sauce as a side dipping.