August 07, 2016 12:00 AM | by Zeinab El-Fiqi
A Delicious Home-cooked Strawberry Jam Recipe
What’s better than butter, jam and French toast for breakfast? And there’s nothing like home-cooked strawberry jam! It won't only be delicious because you cooked it, but you can also adjust it to your taste preference. Nevertheless, it’s loaded with real strawberries. So let’s start with what you need to make home-cooked strawberry jam.
- 1 kg. of fresh strawberries
- 4 cups of white sugar
- ¼ cup of lemon juice
Steps to make home-cooked strawberry jam:
1. Instead of running water over strawberries, wipe them with a damp kitchen paper towel. This will prevent the strawberries from getting soft before cooking them.
2. Cut off the green heads, and make sure their roots inside the strawberries are also removed. And then cut each strawberry into two parts.
3. Add the strawberries to a deep sauce pan, also add the sugar and the lemon juice. Stir the mix over low heat until the sugar dissolves entirely.
4. When you see that your mixture started boiling, now it’s time to raise the heat to high and let it boil while you stir every once in a while. This process is supposed to take from 15 to 20 minutes.
5. This step is important to test if the jam is ready. Put a plate in the freezer and wait until it’s cold enough, take out a spoonful of hot jam and place it on the cold plate. Put it back into the freezer for a minute, and then take out. If you can run your finger through the jam and make a line without the jam running back into place, then the jam is ready.
6. Meanwhile, hot sterile jars should be ready to receive the strawberry jam.
7. Place the jars in a water bath to let it cool down slowly. And then your jam is ready to be refrigerated, and then eaten.
Find out how to make the most delicious recipes from our Kitchen section here.
Don't Leave Just Yet!A Healthy Recipe to Make Yogurt Parfait Popsicles at Home