April 15, 2022 08:00 PM | by The Fustany Team
30 Appetizers and Side Dish Recipes for Every Day in Ramadan
Ramadan's Iftar table, which is full of delicious dishes, is one of the delights for any food lover. On the other hand, creating a new Iftar menu every day can be stressful, so we decided to help you out with our 30-recipe series. For each day of Ramadan, we've already compiled a list of 30 soup recipes, 30 salad recipes, and 30 dessert recipes. Today we're going to look at some delicious Ramadan appetizers and Ramadan side dish recipes that you can mix and match for your Iftar this Ramadan. Here are 30 appetizers and side dish recipes for every day of Ramadan.
Here are 30 appetizers and side dish recipes for your Ramadan Iftar Menu
1. Vine Leaves
Image Credits: Instagram @edibleshots
Can we survive Ramadan without this classic recipe that we all adore? I certainly can't! You can make it cold, the Lebanese way, or hot, like the Egyptians do. Either way, it's a staple for Iftar.
You'll find here the easiest Vine Leaves Recipe.
2. Spicy Baked Potatoes (Batata Harra)
Check out this video for a super easy, spicy baked potato recipe, aka the Lebanese batata harra recipe, in less than 2 minutes.
- 1/2 kilo minced meat
- 1/4 kilo groats (soaked in water a day in advance)
- 1 large chopped onion
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- Salt and pepper
- 1 small cube of butter
1. Heat the butter then cook the onion. Once it becomes golden, add half the amount of minced meat and any spices you like, salt and pepper.
2. Stir the mixture and leave it on the heat until the meat is cooked through.This is the stuffing of the kobeba.
3. In your kitchen processor, blend the groats with the rest of the meat, the cinnamon powder, and nutmeg, with a bit of salt and pepper. This is the mixture that you'll use as an outer layer for the kobeba.
4. Now, spread some of the uncooked mixture in the palm of your hand, add a spoonful of the stuffing, and ball it up. Repeat until you finish the mixture.
5. Fry the kobeba in hot oil until the outer layer is brownish and crispy.
4. Mozzarella Sticks
Melted fried cheese that stretches with every bite... yummy! If you're not craving mozzarella sticks for today's Ramadan Iftar menu just imagining that, I don't know what will. The best part about it is that it doesn't need a cooking expert to follow this recipe. Check out how to make mozzarella sticks here, and here are different dips and sauces you can serve beside it.
5. Fahita Onion Rings
6. Cheese Mushrooms
Recipe & Image Credits: Instagram @getcurried
- 1/2 kg of button mushrooms (medium to large-sized)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- Green chili (finely chopped) optional for added spiciness
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 1 cup red onions (finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup tomatoes (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander leaves (chopped)
- 1/2 cup of grated cheddar, parmesan, or mozzarella cheese
1. Start by gently removing the stems of each mushroom and using a small spoon to carefully scoop any content from the mushroom caps so that it looks like a bowl.
2. Chop everything you scooped out of the mushrooms along with the stems into very fine pieces.
3. Heat the oil in a deep pan or wok and add the cumin seeds, chili, ginger, and garlic. Stir for a few seconds, then add the onions with a pinch of salt.
4. Stir the ingredients until the onions turn golden, then add the tomatoes, chili powder, turmeric, chopped mushrooms, and coriander. Make sure to keep some leaves for garnish.
5. When the mixture turns light brown, turn off the heat and add some of your preferred cheese. Stir the mixture, then sprinkle with 1 tbsp of black pepper and give it a final mix.
6. Start stuffing the mushroom caps with the mixture, and once you're done, place the cheese on top of the stuffed mushrooms.
7. Finally, use the same pan you used for cooking the stuffing, heat it with a few drops of oil, and carefully place the mushrooms in it.
8. Cover the pan and leave it for 3 to 4 minutes on medium heat. You'll find that the mushrooms are perfectly cooked and the cheese has melted on top, ready to be served. Don't forget the coriander garnish on top.
7. Garlic Bread
Image Credits: Instagram @alwaysgarlicbread
Anyone can copy this garlic bread recipe and make this super delicious appetizer in a few minutes.
8. Shrimp Kunafa
Image Credits: theschizochef.com
It's Ramadan, and we already have kunafa at home, so why not use some of it to make this mouthwatering appetizer for today's Iftar menu? Click here to go to our shrimp kunafa recipe.
9. Mac n Cheese Balls
10. Mini Burgers
Recipe & Image credits: Instagram @gee_readsandrecipes
A while ago, a friend of mine made me the most delicious homemade burgers ever, and I have to share the recipe with you!
- 1 kg fatty minced meat (25% fats)
- 1 big egg white (2 if small)
- 2 Tbsp fine breadcrumbs (or more if needed)
- 3 Tbsp onion powder
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 3 Tbsp hot sauce
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Mini burger bread buns
1. Knead the meat with all the ingredients.You can replace all the spices with 2 sachets of ready-made burger spices and a pinch of black pepper.
2. When the meat is all mixed, use a burger cutter or a cup to cut the burgers to the size you want. Medium thickness is best.
Place the burgers in layers separated by cling film and freeze for at least 1 hour.
4. On a grill (electric or iron grill), spray some oil and heat it very well, then place the frozen burger patties on top and cover it (use a pot cover if the grill doesn't have a cover).
5. Turn the heat down and leave the burgers to cook to your taste, then flip them on the other side. Don't try to force flip the burgers if they're stuck; just wait for them to fully cook and you'll be able to move them easily.
6. If you want to add cheddar cheese, place it on top of the burgers when they're 3/4 cooked and cover the grill again. Make sure you don't press on the patty while cooking, so it stays juicy on the inside.
7. After the burgers are cooked, lift them off the grill, add a few drops of oil, and place the buns, inner side down, on the grill to toast them.
8. Spread the desired sauces on the buns.Her personal favorite sauce mix is garlic mayo + ketchup + mustard + mayo ketchup.
9. Add your hot, cheesy burgers to the middle of the buns along with any other toppings you want and hold them together with toothpicks.
11. Eggplant Rolls/Wraps
12. Mini Pizzas
Image Credits: Instagram @gamha.emna
You can easily make mini pizzas at home with just 2 ingredients for the dough and any toppings you want to add from your kitchen.
- 1 cup yogurt (preferably Greek yogurt)
- 1 cup self-rising flour
1. In a mixing bowl, combine the yogurt and flour with your hands or a spoon until it begins to harden.
2. Take the mix and start kneading it into a dough (you can add some flour if you need it to harden a little more), then spread it out to the thickness you prefer.
3. Use a shape cutter or a small glass to cut up the dough into the size you want for the mini pizzas and place them on the tray that you'll put into the oven.
4. Now, it's time to add the toppings. You can go super simple with just tomato paste and shredded mixed cheese, or add any other finely cut toppings you like.
5. Place the pizza tray in a preheated oven and bake for about 15 minutes.
13. Hummus Paste with Toasted Bread
Hummus paste can be considered a salad, but it's an amazing Middle Eastern appetizer that's loved by many, especially in Ramadan. It's best eaten with bread pieces that have been dried and toasted with a few drops of oil.
- 2 cups chickpeas
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 3 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 3/4 cup tahini
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 2 tsp salt
14. Buffalo Wings
15. Taco French Fries with Meat
Recipe & Image Credits: Instagram @family_friendly_cooking
This is for all the french fries and cheese lovers!
- 500 g minced meat
- 250 g tomato paste
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- Pinch of clove powder
- Chili powder
- Grated cheese
1. Heat some oil in a pan and cook the meat in it. When it turns brownish, pour in the tomato paste and stir.
2. When the meat starts absorbing the tomato paste, add in the spices and some salt to taste. Stir, then pour in 1/4 cup of water and cover the pan for 30 min. Make sure to stir the meat every now and then.
3. While the meat cooks, make the french fries and, once it's done, place it in an oven tray, layer the meat on top, then the cheese, and bake for 5 minutes at 200 degrees. Serve hot!
16. Mini Quiche
17. Loaded Baked Potatoes
18. Spring Rolls
Recipe & Image Credits: Instagram @samakitchen18
- 1 1/2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup glass noodles
- 1/2 cup onion sliced
- 1 Tbsp garlic chopped
- 1 tsp green chili chopped
- 1/2 cup carrots julienne cut
- 2 cups cabbage julienne cut
- 1/2 cup spring onion julienne cut
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1 Tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 2 Tbsp flour
- Spring roll sheets
1. Start by soaking the glass noodles in warm water for 10 minutes, then drain them from the water and cut them into finger-length strips.
2. In a pan, heat the oil and stir fry the garlic for a few seconds before adding the onions. When the onions turn colorless, add in the carrots and stir for a few seconds, then pour in the cabbage and spring onions.
3. Pour in the soy and oyster sauces along with the white pepper, sugar, and salt. Stir for a minute before adding in the noodles (only 1/2 a cup) and mixing them all together.
4. Dissolve the cornflour in 1 tablespoon of water, then pour it on the vegetables and mix them again before turning off the heat. Leave it to cool down.
5. Now it's time to make the spring rolls. Put 2 spoons of vegetables on the corner of the spring roll sheets, and start rolling them carefully. Make sure to fold the sides while rolling.
6. Make sure to stick the ends of the rolls with a mixture made of 2 tablespoons of flour with 3 tablespoons of water.
7. When you're done rolling all the sheets, deep fry them in oil on medium-high heat until they turn golden.
19. Hotdog Roll Bites
20. Egg Fried Rice
Recipe & Image Credits: Instagram @spiceeats
- 6 cups of cooked rice
- 4 whisked eggs
- 6 minced garlic cloves
- 2 green chilies finely chopped
- 1/2 cup carrots diced
- 1 cup spring onion
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 tsp dark soy sauce
- 3 Tbsp oil
1. Heat some oil in a wok and scramble the whisked eggs with a pinch of salt. Once it's done, set it aside on a plate.
2. In the same wok, wipe the surface clean with a paper napkin and heat some more oil to stir fry the garlic and chilies, then add the carrots. Stir for a couple of minutes before adding the rice.
3. Season with salt and pepper after adding the soy sauce. Stir well and cook for 2 minutes on high heat.
4. Finally, add the scrambled eggs and reduce the heat to medium while stirring everything together before adding the spring onions and serving.
21. Baked Lemon Potatoes
22. Mini Hawawshi
Image Credits: Instagram @edibleshots
1/2 ground meat
1 large onion minced
1 green bell pepper finely chopped
1 red chili (optional) finely chopped
salt and pepper
1/4 tsp meat spices
1/2 tsp ginger
1. Start by adding a little salt and pepper to the onions and mixing them with the ground beef and all the spices, then add in the green pepper and chili.
2. Cut a small slice in the side of each loaf of bread and begin spreading the meat mixture inside, then wrap each loaf in tin foil.
3. Preheat the oven at a medium temperature, then put the stuffed bread in. Leave it for 20 to 30 minutes before taking it out. If the meat is fully cooked, cut the bread into small triangles and serve.
23. Syrian Muhammara
Image Credits: Instagram @flavorlandbytania
All you need to make this delicious appetizer is a pack of sambousek sheets and the filling of your choice. You can go as creative as you want with the stuffing, from cream cheese to vegetables, to minced meat, to cheese with spinach or olives.
1. Mix some flour with water to make the glue that will hold your sambousek together.
2. Fold the sambousek sheet into a triangle, from one corner to the opposite side of the sheet, then repeat to create a small pocket that you can fill with the stuffing.
3. Continue folding the sheet until the last fold and spread some of the glue to seal the sambousek. Repeat the same steps until you finish the stuffing.
4. Deep fry them in hot oil, and there you have it!
25. Fried Ravioli
26. Tortilla Chips with Cheese Sauce
Image Credits: Instagram @shanavanhoof
If you're tight on time preparing today's Ramadan Iftar menu, then this could be one of the fastest appetizers you can make if you have some tortilla chips or nachos at home. All you need is a few minutes to make the cheese sauce, and we have the perfect recipe in this article: How to Make Cheese Sauce, and 10 Delicious Ways to Use it for Dips!
27. Shawarma Bites
Image Credits: Instagram @ramifannouch
Who doesn't love Shawerma? Whether you love meat or chicken shawarma, it's the perfect side dish for your Iftar. Here you'll find our Meat Shawarma Recipe. You just need to cut the bread after you're finished making it into bite-sized pieces and stick a toothpick in each piece to hold the bread together.
28. Garlic Butter Orzo
29. Rice with Chicken Livers, Nuts, and Raisins
Basmati rice with chicken livers and nuts, a recipe from chef Alaa El Sherbiny.
- 2 cups rice
- Cinnamon sticks
- 4 cups chicken broth
- Dried lemon
- Bay leaves
- Salt and pepper
- Chicken liver
- Pinch of cumin
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 lemon squeeze
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup mixed nuts
1. Boil the chicken broth in a large pot with a couple of cinnamon sticks, dried lemon, and bay leaves, then add the basmati rice to it and cover the pot tightly.
2. Cook the rice on low heat until all of the broth has been absorbed and the rice has softened and lost its bite.
3. While the rice cooks, stir fry the chicken livers in a hot pan with some oil. Add a pinch of salt and pepper, cumin, and 1 clove of minced garlic.
4. Stir the chicken liver for a few minutes, then before it's fully cooked, add the lemon juice and stir once again before you lift it off the stove.
5. When the rice is done, pour it into a serving platter and add the liver on top with the nuts and raisins.
30. Safeeha Beef Pies
We hope these appetizer recipes were useful to you and made your life a little easier when deciding what to cook today; don't forget to share them with your loved ones.
Find out how to make the most delicious recipes from our Kitchen section here.