November 20, 2014 12:00 AM | by Nada Allam
30 Mind-blowing Facts About Hair
It is that time of the year where we will bombard you with some trivia! There are many things about hair you probably never even knew, so welcome this brand new information and load up on these mind-blowing facts about hair.
1. Ever wondered how much hair you lose? The average human sheds about 50-150 strands of hair a day.
2. Do you know or see many red heads? Probably not, because red hair is the rarest hair color in the world.
3. On average, every single person has around 100,000 strands of hair on their head.
4. Hair can grow anywhere on your body, except on the palms of your hands, the soles of your feet, your eyelids and your lips.
5. Have you ever thought how goosebumps happen? When you are cold, each muscle of each hair strand contracts causing hair to rise.
6. You know how you may stand in front of the mirror trying to turn a bad hair day into a good one by trying out different hair styles? Well, on average a woman will spend two hours of her entire week doing just that.
7. Another interesting fact about hair is that the lack of iron in your body will lead to loss of your hair.
8. Mums-to-be, this one is for you! After you give birth you may lose a lot of hair, but don't worry this is due to your hormones regulating back to normal.
9. One of the most important hair facts that you need to know is that the only way to get rid of split ends is to cut them, you can never completely repair them.
10. If you pluck one hair out of its root, it will start growing from the follicle.
11. Ever realized how your hair stopped growing as fast as it did in the past? That is because your hair grows the fastest between the ages of 16-24.
12. By examining a strand of your hair, a scientist can tell you what you ate or drank and the environment you are currently living in.
13. Bet you didn't know this hair fact! The average life span of a hair strand is 4-7 years.
14. Men's beards grow super fast right? That is because facial hair grows the fastest, much quicker than body hair.
15. Did you know that the process of hair removal started with the ancient Egyptians?
16. You think hair is there to make you feel pretty? Nope! The purpose of hair is to act as protection, since our heads do not have thermal insulation.
17. This maybe a digesting fact, but it is really interesting. A lock hair from Elvis Presley was sold at an auction for $15,000.
18. Black hair is the most common hair color in the world.
19. No, trimming your hair does not mean it will grow faster, as hair grows from the scalp, not the ends.
20. Be careful of what you put in your body because it sure does reflect in your hair. The lifestyle you lead will reflect on your hair. For example, your food and water consumption.
21. Fun hair fact: the anticipation of sex makes your hair grow faster.
22. Have you ever noticed how all babies are born with hair? That is because all your hair follicles are formed five months after the mum is pregnant.
23. Hormone imbalance and crash dieting can actually lead to hair loss.
24. You cannot tell if a strand of hair belongs to a man or a women just by looking at it.
25. It takes 13 days for any white or grey hair to show from stress or shock.
26. More is less when it comes to taking care of your hair. For example, use shampoo only once when you're showering.
27. Hairstyles like ponytails and braids can cause more hair loss, because they pull the hair. That is why when you remove your hairband from your hair you will find a couple of strands.
28. 75% of all women dye their hair nowadays.
29. The average person's hair grows a quarter of an inch per month.
30. If you tie your hair in the same place every day, you will notice a breakage where the hair tie was.
Even a bad hair day can be under control! Discover more haircare secrets and styles from our Hair section here.
Have You Read These?